Los Angeles International Airport’s (LAX’s) Public Relations Division supports Los Angeles World Airports’ (LAWA’s) goals by establishing and maintaining effective two-way communications with the traveling public, news media, the travel and tourism industry, and other stakeholder audiences regarding the policies, procedures, services, operations, developments and future plans of LAWA and LAX.
Through its activities, the division accomplishes the goals of maintaining strong, positive relationships with our customers and surrounding communities; showing how LAX is returning to its former stature as a world-class airport, and demonstrating how its employees are becoming a more flexible, more efficient and more effective workforce.
The division focuses on the following messages:
• LAX is an important part of the transportation infrastructure and the economic engine of Southern California, as well as the national aviation system.
• LAX is in the midst of a seven-year, $4.11 billion LAneXt® capital improvement program comprised of nearly 25 already completed and ongoing projects aimed at regaining LAX’s reputation as a world-class leader in airport design, safety and convenience.
• Good customer service and popular amenities that meet customer demand for a variety of options in dining, shopping, business services, public art and other passenger conveniences.
• The traveling public is a partner with LAX in an effective safety and security program.
• LAWA actively supports a policy of regionalization of air traffic in Southern California.
• Contributions by LAWA employees through various initiatives, such as Project LIFToff are valuable to the success of LAWA’s administration, divisions and airports.
The division reaches a variety of audiences to inform them about LAX and its programs. These audiences include:
• General news media at local, state, national and international levels
• Traveling public in local, national and international marketplaces
• Travel-tourism industry
• Tenants and other airport-wide employees.
• Environmental industry
• Aviation, airport and construction industries.
• Local business
• National financial investment communities.
• LAWA employees.
• Neighborhood communities by supporting the LAX Community Relations and Business & Job Resources divisions
• Elected officials by supporting LAWA’s Governmental Affairs Division.
Its major responsibilities are to:
• Foster an effective media relations program with local, national and international news organizations through timely and accurate responses to requests for stories and information about LAX.
• Perform timely, effective crisis communications during emergencies through cooperation with tenants and other city, state and federal agencies using the National Emergency Management System.
• Execute an on-going passenger services communications program that includes conducting special events on topics of interest to travelers; publishing traveler’s guides, such as All About LAX, Smart Travelers Tips, LAX Guide for Travelers With Disabilities and a monthly on-line newsletter, LAX Connection; and conducting outreach to thousands of travelers at public events and travel industry shows.
• Promote information about LAX capital upgrades and improvements under the LAneXt® – Capital Improvement Program. The program uses such tools as in-terminal signage and the LAneXt® newsletter, webpage, and advertising. The division strives to reach LAX’s tenants, travel-tourism industry, airport-area businesses, Southern California chambers of commerce, elected officials, media and general public.
• Execute an on-going environmental communications program to demonstrate LAX’s commitment to becoming a sustainable green airport. Public Relations staff exhibits at environmental events and forums. The division uses case histories and media story placements to show how LAX is a leader among U.S. airports using the latest techniques in source reduction and recycling, alternative fuel vehicles, water and energy conservation, air quality, and noise management.
• Produce publications and maintain social media sites that inform the public and employees about events of interest to its audiences. The monthly Aerogramme employee newsletter features articles that support organizational goals.
• Keep LAWA internal audience apprised of stories appearing in the local general news and industry media through daily posting of significant stories.
LAX Public Relations Division
Clifton A. Moore Administration Building
One World Way
Administration East – 10th Floor Tower
24- Hour Phone: (424) 646-5260
Facsimile: (424) 646-9207